Divorce is truly ugly. However, if there is no way out to solve disagreements between a man and his wife, this may be the only option left for them. As someone who had to go through this traumatic experience, I decided to post a brief overview. If you are someone planning for or going through this tragic juncture in life in New York City, these insights would be of advantage.
There is no dearth of reputed divorce lawyers in NYC. One just has to be informed of the legal requirements of the area and opt for someone who cares for his/her budget. Following are the residency requirements for you to get a divorce in NYC.
• The couple should be residents of the area for a time of one year after marriage before filing for a divorce
• The couple are required to stay as husband and wife in the area at least for one year prior to filing the case
• The couple would have completed two years as husband and wife in NYC within a few days of beginning the proceedings.
Finding a good lawyer
With the venues of marketing becoming easier and more affordable, locating a good divorce lawyer is a herculean task for an average person. However, following the guidelines given below would be of help.
1. Exercise utmost caution: When hiring an attorney to help you with your divorce, you should make sure that his/her personality goes well with yours. The person should also be knowledgeable in all the aspects or processes involved in it. Do not be carried away by the initial consultation. If the lawyer refuses to take your calls or appear hesitant to answer your queries, you should reconsider your choice.
2. Maintain good communication with your ex-spouse: This may appear to be a bit difficult. But, doing this is a must to stay protected from unwanted expenses due to court proceedings.
Do a research and you would be presented with sufficient information on any number of divorce lawyers in NYC. Go for someone who cares for you.