On February 28th The 84th Annual Academy Awards (popularly dubbed The Oscars) will air and for those few hours Hollywood will stand still. If you are anything like me, you don’t necessarily need a reason to want to entertain guests; but, the biggest night in movie and film is a damn good one!
Hosting an Oscar Viewing Party can be super fun and I have compiled some tips that are sure to make yours a success.
Guest List + Invitations:
Crafting a solid guest list is just as important as the decor and menu. For an Oscar Viewing Party, you want to make sure your guests fit these characteristics:
1. Movie Lovers – I mean this is the whole point of the night right?
2. Style + Fashion Followers – The red carpet is where all the action starts! Who wore what and why.
3. Over all fun – Invite friends who love conversation and a having a good time. Commentary is Queen at this party!
Focus on creating a space that is both fab and functional. Because you will be hosting in your home, you want your guests to get a taste of what it would be like to be sitting in the audience at the awards.
1. Red Carpet – This is definitely a staple in the decor design. There are a couple of ways to incorporate the red carpet into your Oscar Viewing party. Take the traditional route by laying a red carpet at the entrance of your home. For a creative touch, you can lay a wide band of red fabric down the center of the main table. The way you would a table runner.
2. Red + Gold Color Palette – Use red roses in gold vases for centerpieces around the room for simple elegance. It would also be fun to place faux “Oscar” awards around the room.
Eats + Drinks
1. Champagne! Champagne! Champagne! – Set up a “Bubbly Bar” where your guests can mix in juices and and fruit to their champagne. Add a black bow tie (with ribbon) to champagne flutes for extra fab!
2. Keep the food “finger friendly” – Sweet potato fries shooters, garlic Parmesan edamame, and mini turkey burgers are great options.
4. Sweet & Savory Popcorn Bar- Pop a few bags of microwavable popcorn and add your favorite seasonings and flavor : old bay, garlic Parmesan, and Cinnamon Sugar are sure to be crowd pleasers.
3. Name the foods after popular movies or actors that are nominated. Use gold picture frames to display menu items. Usually local dollar stores have plenty to choose from.
Of course you do not want to overshadow the main event, but it’s always good to plan other activities through out the night. Here are a few ideas:
1. Oscar BINGO! - Simply download and print these game cards for your guests.
2. “And the Oscar goes to…” – make a list of all the nominees for the main categories and have your guest write down their predictions prior to the show starting. You can offer a cute prize to the person who guesses the most wins! Click here to download your 2012 Oscar ballots!
I hope you find these tips helpful while planning your 2012 Oscar Viewing Party!
Thanks for reading!